Sub-tropical weather in the middle of winter, lush green landscapes and abundant wildlife… Zululand is the perfect place to explore this July school holiday.
Stretching from the mighty Tugela River right up to the Mozambican border, Zululand has a lot to offer.
The area’s natural sanctuaries allow you to explore unique big-game wildlife areas, as well as numerous cultural, historical, wetlands, alpine and marine treasures.
Discover scenic expanses of water, African bushveld, forested pathways and ancient tracks through the wilderness, forested dunes and brilliant coral reefs.
Here are some of our favourite Zululand holiday and day trip spots:
- Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve. It is ranked the number one thing to do in Zululand on the popular website Tripadvisor.com, and the reviews will make you want to go there now!
- Bayete Zulu in Jozini. For an unforgettable elephant encounter, this is one for the bucket list.
- Umlalazi Nature Reserve, Mtunzini. Explore the white beaches, mangroves and coastal
forest of this lovely little village.
- Kosi Bay Nature Reserves. A tropical paradise of crystal clear water, marshland, coastal forest and swamp.
- Jozini Dam. Nestled below the imposing Lebombo mountains, the Jozini Dam is famous for its Tiger game fish and spectacular birdlife.
Off the beaten track
Many of Zululand’s unique gems are, however, accessible only via an off-road vehicle.
Our favourite ‘off the beaten track’ destinations are:
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park, To discover the 10 jewels inside iSimangaliso, like the shores of Lake Sibaya, you will need a 4×4 because this World Heritage Site is truly just bush, beach and beauty.
- Tembe Elephant Park. Tembe is one SA’s most remote and picturesque national parks and you will definitely need a 4×4 to explore its myriad of sandy tracks.
- Sani Pass. The top of Sani Pass entails a 4×4 drive on what is currently still a dirt track. The challenging drive is absolutely worth it as you’ll be rewarded with amazing views.
“These three destinations are what I regard the best reasons to rent a 4×4 if you don’t own one,” says Hilton Wheeler of Avis Van Rental Richards Bay.
“Every SA traveller should have Sani Pass on their bucket list and renting a 4×4 makes going up this legendary track possible to those who don’t own a suitable vehicle.
Remember to take your passports along with you. Avis Van Rental will provide the cross-border documentation in order for you to get the vehicle through the Customs control.
Hire a 4×4 from Avis Van Rental
Don’t have a 4×4? No problem – hire one from Avis!
Avis Van Rental Richards Bay offers 4×4 vehicles in both single cab and double cab formats.
Their bakkies and vans are new, late model, low mileage vehicles (maximum 2 years / 100 000 km), which are regularly maintained per manufacturers’ specifications and all have valid roadworthy certificates.
Do you feel the call for the African bushveld or our riveting seas, maybe our breath-taking mountain passes? You can experience all this and more with a rental 4×4 vehicle from Avis Van Rental.
Contact AVIS Van Rental Richards Bay today to find out more about our affordable and hassle-free vehicle hire options.
Avis Van Rental Richards Bay : 035 789 3097
Avis Budget Empangeni : 087 405 4242
Avis Van Rental Ballito : 032 525 4500
Avis Budget Ulundi : 035 870 0073