UPDATE: Heinous Richards Bay school violence condemned

MEC for Education Mthandeni Dlungwana sent a stern message to learners of Richards Bay Secondary following a violent attack at the school last week

SEVERAL learners were attacked and assaulted on the Richards Bay Secondary School premises on Friday.

Almost immediately a hair-raising video recording went viral, depicting the violent attacks and shows a group of learners engaging in serious acts of violence and viciously attacking each other with dangerous weapons.

KZN MEC for Education, Mthandeni Dlungwana visited the school on Monday morning following the horrific incident.

Speaking sternly to the learners during the school assembly, Dlungwana said such violent behaviour and those implicated in it will be harshly dealt with.

‘Teachers are here to sharpen your intellect and give you (learners) knowledge and skills; we understand there are a few groups who have come together and call themselves some type of gangsters. We will not allow it and we will crush you.

‘You (learners) are our responsibility and we must protect you; we will not allow any criminality to happen amongst our learners.

‘We want to help those who want to succeed.

MEC for Education Mthandeni Dlungwana address learners at Richards Bay Secondary School on Monday morning

ALSO READ: WATCH: Video released of school violence in Richards Bay

‘If you behave badly at home and feel you are in charge there, we will not allow you to behave like that in our schools.

‘Please focus on your life and future, we want you to succeed and we are here to support you but we are not going to allow gangsters to rule this school,’ said Mlungwana.

Meanwhile, in a statement issued by the SAPS, it alleges that the school boys, travelling in a bus to Richards Bay Secondary School on Thursday were involved in misunderstanding and a quarrel broke out.

The following day, learners began fighting on the school premises where bush knives were used in the assault.

It is alleged that five learners (boys) sustained multiple injuries to their bodies and were taken to a clinic for medical attention.

A case was opened at Richards Bay SAPS and three suspects, aged 19, were arrested and will appear in the Richards Bay Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday while one suspect is still at large.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.

For news straight to your phone invite us:

WhatsApp – 072 069 4169

Instagram – zululand_observer

  AUTHOR
Conelia Harry
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Recommended Story x
Reckless hit-and-run driver causes mayhem