Here are a few clever DIY tricks to add some sizzling island style to your home
and keep it from looking too cluttered
- Invest in a mudroom or corner where dirty shoes, wet towels and sandy beach gear can be left before you enter the house. This room will need plenty of hooks for towels and storage racks for surfboards, sun umbrellas and other beach gear.
- Install an outdoor shower. Sandy feet and chlorine-soaked hair need a proper rinse at the end of a day at the beach or pool. Nothing beats an outdoor shower under African skies in the privacy of your own backyard!
- A fish cleaning station is a must if your man loves fishing. It needs an easy to clean flat surface, water hose and drain outlet. Add a rack for a cooler box and garbage bin. Just remember to place your station somewhere downwind!
- Construct a towel rack – or least some hooks – near the pool area. Hopefully this will help in reducing those wet dog-smelling bundles of wet towels lying around all over the place.
- Pool noodles and water toys are fun, but not when they’re scattered around the swimming pool at the end of the day. Turn a wooden pallet into a pool noodle holder! Add hooks and baskets and give it a lick of paint. Perfect!